Tuesday, February 27, 2018

The Paradise Trap

It’s been interesting, over the last few years, to see how the climate of JW fiction has evolved. Before I wrote All Things New, I’d read some short stories by other Witnesses about paradise and the resurrection. Some were only a page or two, while others went on for a few thousand words. (To my knowledge, there were no full-length paradise novels available prior to 2013, but if I’m wrong about this please feel free to comment below.) Since 2013 however, a whole slew of JW authors has emerged, each with their own take on what life in the new world might be like.

Despite the increase in authors, though, it seems that many paradise stories fall into a similar pattern. It goes like this: a character shows up in the new world (the Guest) and is introduced to  various aspects of paradise life by a personal guide (the Mentor), who explains why and how things are the way they are.

The reason for setting the story up this way is obvious: the Guest becomes a stand-in for the reader, who has been thrown into this fictional version of paradise, and whom the writer assumes must be curious about each aspect of life, and thus the writer goes about explaining things as carefully and as detailed as possible, doing so through the Mentor.

Yes, this is precisely what I did for my first novel. Mitch Hanson was the Guest, and the various characters he met and interviewed along the way became his Mentors. And no, there’s nothing inherently wrong with this premise. In fact, you’ll find the same set-up in much of popular and classic fiction.

But there is a trap, so writers beware. Because if the author isn’t careful, the book can easily turn into a lengthy exposition about their version of the future. Instead of a story, it reads like a series of small essays in which the author explains why he or she feels paradise will be a certain way. Instead of focusing on the story, the characters, and the underlying themes, the writer finds himself or herself contriving all sorts of scenarios in order to shoehorn in various conversations about why the resurrection has occurred in a certain way, or why technology does or doesn’t exist, or why some other element of paradise life has defied common expectations.

Again, I speak from experience. When I wrote All Things New, I knew that there were some ideas I really wanted to talk about, and so I went about squeezing them into the story via dialogue between the Mentors and the Guest, or debriefings, or found documents, or whatever else I could think of. And at the time, this felt novel and exciting. Looking back, I realize this is pretty much the go-to for stories set in paradise. But can these lengthy forms of exposition be sufficient to hold up the framework of the stories they are trying to tell? Sometimes.

This isn’t to say that these stories won’t find readers; I believe they will. I think Witnesses will always enjoy reading about various versions of paradise, regardless of how compelling the stories at their cores are. However, it’s my suspicion that many readers have begun to tire of novels and novellas that are beginning to feel a bit like soapboxes for the authors’ personal visions of the future.

I think one of the most difficult challenges of writing is not knowing what to write, but what not to write. Over-exposition is the demise of many a budding author. It can be painful to cut and trim and edit out beloved chunks of dialogue, explanation, background info, and all those other bits that spent so much time marinating in the author’s head. But for real, grounded stories, cutting and trimming is exactly what must be done.

So if you’re writing a paradise novel, here’s my challenge to you: just tell the story you want to tell. Refrain from explaining and defending every aspect of your version of the new world. Try not to build your story around explanations.

Remember, even though this is all based on future realities, we’re ultimately writing fiction.

15 comments:

  1. I only know 2 authors, you and Thomas "Matt" Walker, writing full length novels in Paradise settings... are there more ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are quite a few. You can find some of them on Amazon, and there are several others who have websites. I know about quite a few of these stories because the authors have written me with links.

      Delete
    2. I could be an interesting article to share about them.

      Delete
  2. Excellent story-telling advice!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am biased cause we love all your stories so far hehe. I didnt get the soapbox feel from All things New but respect as the author to want to change it and as a previous post said you are wanting to keep all your brothers and sisters in mind which is commendable.Good advice as well for other writers. Just want to say my whole family is loving the new series. Flee was exciting, sad and intriguing. We are looking forward to book 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! In writing ATN I found myself constantly struggling to resist the urge to get on the soapbox, and this was one of the major reasons I stopped writing paradise novels after the first two books. It's a lot more challenging than it seems!

      Delete
  4. Referring to getting rid of expository writing, Stephen King called it something along the lines of "killing your darlings." It's hard to do but clearly worth it. I am one who has written a few short stories, none more than 2000 words. I share them with family and close friends only, and I admire that you've taken the bold plunge to share yours publicly. We have enjoyed your writing quite a bit. As my wife said above, we're looking forward to the second installment of your current series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That quote is from Stephen King's "On Writing", right? That book is one of my favorites on the craft. I've actually quoted it a few times over the years here on my blog. Another good one is "The Story Grid" by Shawn Coyne and Steven Pressfield.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's the book! It seems I've read more books about writing than actually writing anything. I'll check out "The Story Grid" too. My biggest difficulty is weaving a larger story- I only see part of it in my head and then it fizzles...

      Delete
  5. Can you give us some names and authors of other paradise novels you've come across?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gay Miller and Bill K. Underwood have paradise novels available on Amazon.

      Delete
  6. I just finished reading another author's paradise book, and I agree with everything you are saying here. The story never really went anywhere, it was just a mentor explaining to the new resurrected one why things were like they were. It was an ok book, but never really went anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa,

      Yeah, I think it's very hard for most of us to resist the urge to do this. But in the end, I truly believe that it's the novels that tell a real story and build layered, complex characters that will resonate the longest.

      Delete